Tuesday 16 January 2018

Papayas and Lemons

In your garden grew a beautiful lemon tree
In mine there was a papaya tree

We breakfasted on fresh papayas
sprinkled with ginger
and drizzled with lemon juice

Until one day a raging storm
blew down the papaya tree

Now we eat our breakfasts alone
and you take your lemons to market


Previously published as part of Gabrielle Bryden's Citrus Fiesta.  

**

I've also posted another poem about Malawi on my Shapeshifting Green blog, you can read it here

7 comments:

Gwil W said...

That's cool. I'm a big fan of ginger. In winter on a cold day I like to drink ginger tea. Lemon is for summer. Papaya I never had. In fact simpleton that I am I'm not even sure what it is.

eileeninmd said...

Cute poem. I would love to grow a lemon tree!

Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Caroline Gill said...

Oh, Juliet... such a sad poem and yet brimming with zest and colour. I'm so glad you re-posted it for us.

Sandy said...

I have not seen this before. Love it!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I was always rather put off the idea of papaya after someone told me they smell of vomit.

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed reading this ...

All the best Jan

Gillena Cox said...

Wishes for a bright and prosperous 2018

Luv your lemony poem Juliet, so happens I posted 2 Lemon Cinquains HERE

MUCH LOVE...