Wednesday 16 May 2018

Fighting Food Waste - One Garlic Bulb at a Time

I hate wasting food and particularly now as part of my job at Granton Goes Greener is to help redistribute useable unsold food from bakers to the local community.

I was annoyed to say the least when I discovered that our garlic looked like this

I did some online research and it seems as though it's the wrong time of year to plant garlic and also it seems as though it's not a crop that will grow well on a window-ledge. However, given that in the past we've very successfully grown tomatoes on our window-ledge (see for example here), I'm going to try growing garlic.

I've separated the sprouting cloves and planted them into two pots and we'll see what happens. If it's successful I'll blog about it again!

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

That drives me crazy! There is nothing worse! I hate particularly when I cut into an onion and it looks all nice on the outside, but it is rotten on the inside. Have a wonderful week.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, good luck with that! It's fun having a science project, isn't it?!

RG said...

Here we plant the cloves around mid-November and they are ready for harvest about July 1.