Friday 2 March 2018

National Old Stuff Day

Today is National Old Stuff Day - a day to appreciate old things! If we can appreciate old things and not constantly be buying new then we are reducing the waste we produce.

I love old furniture, and we  have several pieces in our flat,including these two items in our living room
 

 
  Some people like to refurbish these types of items by sanding them down and painting them in bright colours, but I like the original look!

National Old Stuff Day is also an opportunity to think about old things that you have that you don't want any more and see how you can bring them back into use - perhaps by repurposing an item for another use, refashioning an old item odclothing, donating old furniture to a charity that houses homeless people, giving the item as a gift or donating it to a second hand shop.

Age UK asked their staff to share their most treasured old items, you can read what they said here.

What are your favourite old things?






3 comments:

Gwil W said...

I don't know if it counts but I just found a new use for my old carrier bag. I had no idea there such a day as you mention. Old is beautiful.

Geraldine said...

I love old clothes probably most of all, thrift shops are some of my favorite places. Also "memory" clothes I never can part with.

What a great day to celebrate.😊

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Welll..... at 79, I wonder if my husband qualifies as my favorite old stuff ;>) (I'm not far behind him)...... We used to have a lot of family antiques/collectibles when we owned our home in Oregon (previous life). When we sold out to travel after our retirement, we gave them to our kids. Now I can visit them when I go see my grandkids/great-grands!!