Wednesday 1 November 2017

Autumn colour and a kingfisher

I was leading a group round Colinton Dell today, but first I had time to do my weekly patrol of the dells for the Water of Leith Conservation Trust. The autumn colours are at their best now in many places



and the ivy is in flower, waiting for late season hoverflies, but I have to say I've seen very few hoverflies this autumn compared to last year.

I had two wonderful sightings of kingfishers (possibly the same bird in each case) before I met up with the group, but we didn't see one at allduring the walk. We haven't seen a kingfisher at all during this session of walks, while last time I lead these walks there were kingfishers every week!


7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

hello, pretty walk and lovely scenes. The Autumn colors are beautiful. Nice sighting of the kingfisher. Happy November, have a happy Wednesday!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Interesting how are you are a few weeks behind us - the leaves are now starting to fall, and the ivy is past it!

Caroline Gill said...

Lovely photos of autumnal glory, though a flash of halcyon would have added an extra splash of colour! I hope the kingfisher returns...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

Always wonderful out walking when there are Autumn trees and leaves about.
I saw a kingfisher on my walk yesterday and they are lovely birds.
Hope you are enjoying the week
hugs
Carolyn

UplayOnline said...

Nice sighting of the kingfisher. Happy November, have a happy Wednesday!


แคมฟรอก

Lowcarb team member said...

The Kingfisher has amazing colouring and so do your Autumn scenes.
I just love this time of year.

All the best Jan

Gwil W said...

They're called ice birds here. The colour I suppose. They can be elusive. I've been lucky enough to spot a few.