Thursday 8 June 2017

Vote with nature in mind!

It's the General Election today in the United Kingdom. Due to this snap election being called so soon after the local election, the Scottish Green Party doesn't have enough money to field candidates in many wards in Scotland. This is a shame, as many people who care about the environment and nature naturally vote for the Green Party (though admittedly they're not perfect and don't, in my humble opinion, put enough emphasis on biodiversity and wildlife protection).

Our ward is one that doesn't have a Green Party candidate! The Labour party however this year has a very comprehensive environmental policy, which although not perfect (they support the development of the High Speed Rail link that would destroy a number of important wildlife sites, including irreplaceable ancient woodlands) does contain far more detail than is usual for a mainstream party, including some great policies. You can read about it here, in the Ecologist.

So the first thing I'm going to do when I leave the house today is to vote! If you're in the UK please vote too!

You can read my previous posts about voting with the environment in mind here and here.

30 Days Wild - Vote with nature in mind! 

6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Yes, vote green! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

First thing I shall do when I get back is vote, for sure. Although this election makes me sick to my stomach

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Eileen - excellent!

Simon - I'm sick of this election too, I'm sick of UK politics all round at the moment

A Cuban In London said...

Please, vote indeed! :-) Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Lynn said...

I hope everyone voted as Green as possible.

Geraldine said...

It's slim pickings for environmental candidates here in Canada, when it comes to those who actually do something. I know we should all care enough to vote but not easy when there is no one we can feel good about electing.😣