Thursday 1 June 2017

30 Days Wild - Take a Wild detour!

It's the start of 30 Days Wild, the project that encourages everyone to do something wild every day in June! Today I took a slight detour to get to the writing class I was running in Lochend. I got off the bus several stops late (as I often do) and walked into the park. I had got an earlier bus than normal hoping for a longer walk in the park, but unfortunately the bus was very slow so I only got the chance for a short walk and some photos. 

Although you can hardly see them in the photo there's a family of mute swans in amongst the trees to the left of the island. They have 5 or 6 cygnets. I noticed them as I walked into the park, but would have been too far away to have been able to take a decent photo. By the time I was close enough they had hidden themselves away!

Easier to photograph were the lovely yellow flag irises

and the pretty wildflower meadow planted near the entrance to the park

Near to the park I saw a swift, which flew up into a hole under the guttering of a block of flats! It may well be a nest site, so I'll need to keep an eye on that for part of the swift survey which I'm taking part in.



5 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Noticed a swift going in a nest hole last night; we have a few streets of Victorian buildings very suited to their nesting, and used every year.

Lynn said...

I remember this from last year. So glad you are doing this again. All lovely things.

RG said...

Good start! I helped a guy look for Surf Smelt eggs in a microscope! We saw some. Size of a pin head!

Lowcarb team member said...

Those yellow flag irises are a lovely colour and the wildflower planting does look so colourful.
Great photo's.

All the best Jan

shoreacres said...

Thirty Days Wild is a wonderful idea. It was interesting to see your yellow flags today. Ours have come and gone -- nearly a month ago now, and maybe more. Latitude does make a difference!