Monday 25 July 2016

Lime trees

The scent of lime blossom in the air

Hoverflies dancing everywhere 





The lime blossom is short lived so get out there and give it a sniff, it really is the most beautiful scent. Plenty of lime trees in bloom around Edinburgh at the moment - there are whole streets that smell of lime blossoms not to mention patches of Colinton Dell, where you can smell the lime blossoms before you see the lime trees! (These are linden trees, not the lime trees that produce the citrus fruit). 

The hoverfly in this case is, I think, a Myathropa florea, I'm waiting for confirmation on my identification from the UK Hoverflies Group.



6 comments:

Janneke said...

I love the smell of the limetrees. You should know I did not recognize the smell of these trees untill only some years ago. Well, never too old to learn something new.
Regards, Janneke

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It really is such a pretty tree and I'm pretty sure it was here on your blog that I first learned about them.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I love the smell of all the herbs growing in the beer garden of my favourite pub. The lemon thyme is just gorgeous

RG said...

Ha Ha Ha! Ours is done and the remnants are all over the porch, roof, and sidewalks!!! But it was great (and FULL of bees) while it lasted

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliette,

I also love the scent of lime trees and it is such a clean fresh smell.
Enjoy the week
Hugs
Carolyn

Lowcarb team member said...

Fantastic ... we just need to take time to enjoy and appreciate the wonderful scents that are around, especially lime.

I like all of your photo's.

All the best Jan