Thursday 10 July 2014

Orchid meadow

Up on a marshy area of Corstorphine Hill there's a small orchid meadow. This year there are more common spotted orchids there than I remember from previous years and they seem to be spreading out from the original area. I love the contrast of the orchid with the buttercups and the way the light shines in the grass.
and the long view down the hill






We were picking raspberries up Corstorphine Hill earlier today. It's worth the scratched arms to collect such delicious fruit! Lovely sunny day too with lots of butterflies (mostly meadow browns) flying around and grasshoppers calling from the grass.

***
Meanwhile I've added another couple of photos to the nature photography download section of the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop.

As ever, red text contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more.



6 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Ahhh... bliss, both post and pictures. :-)

Greetings from London.

Unknown said...

I didn't know about these orchids! I haven't been this year to pick the wild raspberries on Corrie Hill but will look out for these pretty flowers when I do. ps saw your link on twitter

eileeninmd said...

Lovely images and the raspberries sound yummy! Have a happy weekend!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Juliet, SO pretty. The cicadas are whirring loudly here at night. The katydids should be arriving soon. Haven't heard a lot of grass hoppers, but then again, we don't have a lot of long grass around us.

Thought of you early this morning as I was listening to the wonderful bird sounds. Thought, "I bet Juliet would know what that is," as I wondered what it was -or rather, to whom it belonged. 😉 m & jb

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Maureen, I would have loved to listen to your birds, but as I'm on the other side of the world, I might not have known what they were!

RG said...

A pretty time for the flowers in the fields ... fun to see and hear about yours, which are often different than ours.