Tuesday 30 November 2010

Upcycled draught excluder


I made this draught excluder from fabric from a kimono that was worn for years as a dressing gown and has totally fallen apart. You may recognise the fabric from my sandwich bags (see this post!). I stuffed the draught excluder with scrap fabric (leftovers from craft projects, old socks, a pillow case that Anya our rabbit had torn apart, etc). I cut up the fabric to make the draught excluder more evenly shaped. It still looks a bit lumpy as it isn't quite finished, it needs a bit more fabric in it! However we need it already given the very cold weather we're having, so I've tied it up with the yellow rope (from a curtain tie-back that Anya had chewed to pieces, she liked chewing, did Anya!). This will be sewn in place once the draught excluder is full and at that point I will even out the stuffing. 

By the way, Blogger is being difficult at the moment, so please bear with me if posting becomes erratic!

15 comments:

Phoenix C. said...

Just what one needs in our snowy conditions! It looks great.

What a good idea to use old items as stuffing. I put old tshirts in a cupboard to use as cleaning cloths, but then I usually take them out again cos I miss wearing them!!

martine said...

You have inspired me, this is just what we need:-)
thanks for sharing
martine

EG CameraGirl said...

These are such a great idea and really work! I've never made one out of a kimono, though. :)

Naquillity said...

you are so efficient with your scraps. this is a wonderful idea. hope it continues to do a job well done. have a great day.

Cathy said...

Hello Juliet. Great to be back to blogging and reading blogs after two months. I have missed your posts which make us sit up and take notice. Love the idea of a draught excluder. I think I might make myself one too. We have lots of draughty doors and our weather is unbelievably chilly at the moment.

PurestGreen said...

What a great idea! We don't have central heating so we sit in the warm livingroom and let the rest of the flat freeze. No point trying to heat the whole flat when it isn't necessary.

Ps - I love icy leaves in your new header photo.

Anonymous said...

I am already using them in four places, and it isn't even winter yet. Mine aren't so fancy, though.

Anonymous said...

Great recycling. It's hot and muggy hear so not something we'd ever need, but terrific for you guys in the freezer.

Kay Baughman said...

What a great idea for recycling used but still beautiful fabric! Our weather is not often cold and drafty but we have family who live further north--this is giving me ideas for christmas giving!
Kay

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

Hello, Crafty Green Poet! I need to make a few of those--but I also need to caulk a few of my "airier" windows.

BTW, I received your e-mail, but the e-mail address you posted was sent back to me...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

Your draught stop is such a great idea and love the fabric of the kimono.
I enjoyed finding out more about you over at Shells place.
Do stay warm and I hope that you have a great week

Hugs
Carolyn

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I do it that Anya is influencing your actions and projects from beyond the grave as it were.

Kerri Farley said...

What a GREAT Idea!!! I need to make one of these!

bunnits said...

Nice looking and practical, too.

Your Anya was a lovely bun.

Anonymous said...

That is probably the best looking draught exluder (we call them door-sausage/snake in Australia) I have seen. Kimono fabric- very nice.