Sunday 27 June 2010

The Royal Highland Show

I've spent part of the past week working at the Royal Highland Show on the Soil Association Scotland stand. The show is a large agricultural show, with livestock competitions, acres of farm machinery, stands from organisations such as the Soil Association, a Food Hall and other food stalls (though not with particularly good choices for the vegetarian) and craft stalls.

This year there were a good number of renewable energy companies displaying their wares (this section of the show is growing every year apparently). I was impressed most by the company that works on individual homes and businesses building up their individual solutions to include solar, biomass and wind on a small scale and fitting in with the local environment.

I was most impressed by the Co-op Plan Bee exhibition which had an interactive display to encourage children to understand the importance and beauty of bees.

I also loved a lot of the crafts, there was a particularly impressive display of glass crafts. I was also very tempted to buy a watch made with repurposed vintage jewellery by Louise Pringle.

I also discovered a new favourite sheep breed, the Zwartbles. My other favourite sheep breed is the Ryeland, a traditional British breed, which can be seen at Gorgie City Farm.

7 comments:

Christina said...

This sounds pretty neat. I like the bee education for kids too. I dont think people realize how much we depend on the bee and the birds.

Cathy said...

Sounds like you had a great time Juliet. I don't think any of us realise how important soil and the bees are for our future livelihoods. I have fallen in love with those Zwartbles too.

Bill said...

A favorite sheep breed; now that's something I don't have.

Oh said...

Dear C,
So glad I stopped here to hear what's happening there...always good to check in. Refreshing. We've only half the flowers this summer as usual; we missed our usual planting due to house renovations. So I realized today, we'll have less finches swooping about and less bees! I may have to go buy some potted plants from the home center (aaarrgggh) and put them around the fence and on the porches!

madison. said...

Goodness, you are darling. Your poems are so delightful, your visuals immaculate. I adore you. Please visit mine sometime, I would really appreciate your feedback.

Afternoon Tea
http://www.madisonreece.blogspot.com

bunnits said...

Zwartbles! A new breed to add to my list of sheep. They are lovely!! As a spinner, I'd love to get my hands on one of their fleeces. And I love the name--another of my favorite breed names is that of a US breed, the California Variegated Mutant, some of which are raised here in Alabama.

Acornmoon said...

three cheers for the Co-Op bee plan!