Monday 11 August 2008

My Gardening bag


This is my gardening bag, left over from last year's annual conference of the Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens. Its a small but sturdy cotton bag and contains:

a pair of gardening gloves - there are debates about whether or not to wear gardening gloves but I say - if there are nettles or brambles there is no argument at all for not using gloves!
a trowel
a pair of secateurs
a small reused plastic bag for storing any litter I find

It also has enough room for an empty watering can, packets of seeds, packets of bird food and a bird feeder, depending on what I'm planning on doing in the garden.

6 comments:

Larry Kollar said...

there are debates about whether or not to wear gardening gloves

Huh? Only a guy would advocate not wearing gloves. "We're rough and tough, we don't mind a few scratches!" I don't wear gloves when picking, it's easier to bruise stuff, but I sure will wear them when hoeing or weeding!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I had to look up secateurs! and now know I have some too. Gloves or no gloves, hmmmm. I try to wear gloves because I need to keep my fingers sensitive for work, but sometimes I pull easy weeds without. If i'm just out watering or picking I don't, I like to feel the plants......

RG said...

And lunch ????

OK what are they? those secateurs that d.moll won't share her results for!!!! Bandaids? Sun screen?

(clippers?)

Great bag .. beats my pockets! I just hate it when I misplace my secateurs!

this is my patch said...

I agree, there is a time and a place in the garden for gardening gloves. x

Ruby Re-Usable said...

Great bag, nice slogan, but what I want to know is what is an allotment garden?

ps gloves are important, come on, WORK gloves for different kinds of work, heck, the guys who change my oil wear disposable latex gloves (wasteful, I know, but it does keep their hands clean), and who wants to risk kitty poo underneath one's fingernails ...

Crafty Green Poet said...

Farfetched - sounds sensible
D.Moll - ditto!
Rabbits Guy - I just go upstairs for lunch... Secateurs are used to cut twigs, small branches etc
Ruby - I agree about the gloves, there are delicate gardening jobs which should be done without gloves, but when it comes to weeding or cutting back, I wouldn't be without them.

Allotment gardens are areas of land where several people have plots that they tend, primarily for vegetables. They developed in the Uk early in the 20th Century