Monday 19 November 2007

Some Places I've Been and How I Got There

Seeing as I've been talking about my travels recently, I thought it might be interesting to list where I've travelled to and how I travelled:


California, family holiday when I was 7 - flew

Poland - archeology dig (when everyone else I knew was at their graduation ceremony) - ferry and train, 48 hours of train as I remember...

France - conservation working holiday - ferry and train and bike

Malawi - two years VSO (UK Peace Corps equivalent) - flew

Zimbabwe - holiday when living in Malawi - bus through Zambia, 48 hours of bus with 5 hours stuck in Lusaka bus station. We missed the bus back and so had to fly...

Botswana - holiday when living in Malawi, train from Harare (Zimbabwe)

Germany - several trips, usually with ferry and trains.

Austria - train from Germany

Amsterdam - usually ferry, unless then going on through Germany in which case I have flown sometimes

Spain - exchange trip, flew

Jersey - conference and holiday - flew

Italy - conference and holiday - flew

Scottish islands - numerous visits - ferry, train, local buses, school buses and hired cars.



I've occasionally flown to Bristol for work reasons as the train takes far too long to be justifiable for work purposes. I flew to London with a colleague once but generally take the train to London as that train is speedier in real terms than the flight. I try to avoid flying for environmental reasons, but also I enjoy seeing the scenery from a train or a bus. I like birdwatching from the deck of a ferry and seeing island scenery - an overnight ferry with a film, a couple of drinks and a meal with a nice cabin to sleep in is a very civilised way to travel, I think.

12 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Wow! You have more than been around the block--Nice post. I'd like to be in a warm compartment, full of a good dinner, and going somewhere...right now.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

And here I am, sitting at a computer in a back room, freezing....

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. It is difficult to travel regularly when you live in Australia - the flights are just way to long and I dread the amount of pollution I am creating by flying to the UK or Europe. However, there are a lot of amazing places to see within Oz so I shouldn't really complain!

Everydaythings said...

which part of poland? I've been there too. intersting post.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Pepek - sorry you're freezing just now...

Selma - yes Australia is quite far away from anywhere isn't it? But it must be a wonderful country.

Krissie - I did an archeological dig in a place called Podeblocie and also visited Warsaw and Crakow.

Anonymous said...

So wonderful! I have been to so few places...but Poland is near the top of the list, as is Italy.

Ričardas said...

You still have to visit Lithuania :) Summer would be better time for this though.

Anonymous said...

wow; I had no idea you were that world traveled!

Laure said...

I bet you'd be a pretty great travel compadre!

Hey, I've got a new blog up for other than Haiku writing:

www.sillykumquat.blogspot.com

I've also started a new writing prompt called Phoetry Prompt Thursday. Please come check it out and play!

Catherine said...

It's pretty difficult to go anywhere by train from New Zealand (underwater travel anyone?) In the 50s my grandparents went "Home" to the UK and they travelled by ship - the usual means then - but of course they went for a year,in these hurried times the option of travelling by ship just isn't available.
Within NZ we usually take the car, and ferry if we are going to the North Island - with family we have the car full, so it is cost effective. If there is just one of us, or it is something urgent like a funeral, we fly.

A Paperback Writer said...

Ah, Poland. And for archaeology, no less. Wow.
I have been to 22 different countries in my life (all in the northern hemisphere, however), but Poland I cannot claim.
But someday......
Besides Poland, I'd also like to visit Norway and Peru -- but not on the same trip. ;)
And the state of Maine in the US sounds so beautiful....

abby - the geek girl said...

This entry makes me jealous :P