Saturday 17 November 2007

Grass

Beyond the garden fence wild grasses sway in the breeze:
Festuca rubra shimmers red
Digitaria ischaemum smoothly fingers the air
Agrostis curtisii bristles and bends in a curtsey
Elymus caninus slowly wags its beard

out in the undulating fields
even their names are more beautiful than lawn
their colours greener.


Featuring:
Festuca rubra - red fescue
Digitaria ischaemum - smooth finger grass
Agrostis curtisii - bristle bent grass
Elymus caninus - bearded couch grass

Grass for Weekend Wordsmith

8 comments:

paisley said...

i am forever amazed at your knowledge... always a lesson in your posts....

Anonymous said...

Its been awhile..thanks for your visits ..LIP (www.livinginpoetry.blogspot.com) is featuring another poet...

Nasra

Odessa said...

wow! their names do sound lovely! thanks for sharing this wonderful image of undulating fields.

mm said...

There is something about the real names of plants - Latin or otherwise - that is magical. Thank you for this, you've set off a train of thoughts in my minds.

Crafty Green Poet said...

paisley - I did have the help of my Field Guide to Grasses....

Nasra - thanks for visiting, I'll check out LIP

Odessa, mm - thanks!

Janice Thomson said...

Gosh Juliet I love this wonderful piece on grasses. It does put the word "lawn" to shame. I've had a few debates over the care of grass as I consider it a plant like any other and if I had my way I would not even have any so I didn't have to cut it.

Anonymous said...

I didnt know there were such different kinds of grass, I learn every day. Thank you.

Christy Woolum said...

I love the sound of the Latin names you inserted into the lines. Nice use of words.