Sunday 30 October 2005

Malawi Drought

Malawi is a small landlocked country in southern Africa. Currently the country is facing drought and severe food shortages. For more information, including how you can help, visit Oxfam's Southern Africa pages: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/safrica05/.

I lived in Malawi from 2000 - 2002, teaching sciences in a Girls School in Malindi, on the shores of Lake Malawi. My poetry pamphlet 'Bougainvillea Dancing' was published in response to the last Malawian drought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was interested to see your past with Malawi. I work with a lady who has started an organization to provide watering pumps for villages in Malawi to help counteract the drought conditions. I have put her website below. You might want to check it out and post it on your blog!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks for the link Amanda! It's a lovely looking website and a great project! Funnily enough I was thinking of setting up a few Malawian links on the blog....
Best wishes